Whatcha Readin’?

• Jennifer DeMonte posted an update in the tribe Tribe logo of Whatcha Readin'?Whatcha Readin'? 1 day, 12 hours ago

Just saw this in the NYTimes last night. Love to see how vibrant libraries are in the big city.
    Libraries Can Be More Than Just Books: https://nyti.ms/2jD9WTn

• Molly Gould posted an update in the tribe Tribe logo of Whatcha Readin'?Whatcha Readin'? 1 week, 2 days ago

Hey, I use Good Reads to track my reading, but have never really gotten into the social networking side of it… What do you think: should I start now?

• I think it is great…occasionally I have even friended random people b/c I agreed with/liked a review of theirs, and then it led me down a path of reading their other views and finding books that way! Albeit, I did this more before our classes started, hahaha!

• Nicki replied 1 week ago

Same as @dianarivers. I originally started with tracking what I was reading, the yearly goodreads challenge (21 out of 30 this year, so far!), and keeping track of books I wanted to read and books that I already own (I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone into a bookstore only to walk out with a book I already own because I thought it looked…[Read more]

• Molly Gould posted an update in the tribe Tribe logo of Whatcha Readin'?Whatcha Readin'? 1 week, 2 days ago

I read and enjoyed Tom Perrotta’s new book, Mrs. Fletcher, this summer. He also wrote Election, The Leftovers and Little Children. If you like dark, funny and contemporary, he’s good. I also just finished Still Life with Tornado, by A.s. King. I read a lot of YA, mostly because I love it, but also for my job.

@dianarivers, I love The Namesake……[Read more]

• Hi Molly! Wow, cool about our favorites. The Namesake amazes me each time I read it. I am sorry they made it into a movie though. I love Hornby too, though I found his latest books rather unreadable. 🙁 I think I read Little Children a long time ago and didn’t love it, but maybe I will give Perrotta another chance! How was Still Life with…[Read more]

• I didn’t even know that The Namesake had been adapted! I don’t remember it being particularly cinematic…

I think if you weren’t fond of Little Children, you might want to stay away from Mrs. Fletcher, but who knows. I think Perrotta’s work hangs together thematically and in tone.

I keep seeing What to Say Next; let us know if you like it.…[Read more]

• Wow, the blurb about Still Life with Tornado makes it sound fascinating! Yes, I will report on What to Say Next. I’m also reading A Gentleman in Moscow. Great so far. Contagious, which is my pick for this class’s book review, is awesome too!

• Michaela Jacobson posted an update in the tribe Tribe logo of Whatcha Readin'?Whatcha Readin'? 1 week, 3 days ago

Here is my goodreads account: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/58808967-michaela-jacobson I have been reading Dracula but for some reason it just isn’t holding my interest, which is weird because I love spooky/horror books!

• That is interesting! Did you watch Interview with the Vampire? I’ve never seen it but am kind of interested, especially to see how dated it appears, hahaha! I think I was in middle school when it came out, and I remember how popular it was! Haha.

• I *loved* Interview with the Vampire when I read the book in Middle School a long, long time ago…:) Didn’t make it through all of the sequels… I remember not loving the movie, having nurtured my own versions of Louis and Lestat… Now I recommend Holly Black’s Coldest Girl in Coldtown for vampire-loving teens. Have you guys read that?

• I did watch Interview with a Vampire when I was in high school, I honestly can’t remember if I liked it or not! I’ll have to try reading the books.

• Nicki posted an update in the tribe Tribe logo of Whatcha Readin'?Whatcha Readin'? 1 week, 3 days ago

Glad you started this one, Diana! I was about to do so myself. Here is my goodreads account: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8497833-nicki

I’m currently reading “The Cellar” by Natasha Preston. It’s alright so far. I’m barely 100 pages in so hopefully it picks up soon.

• Yay! I think we were in 203 together, right @visona03? Thanks for joining this tribe! Do you abandon books you don’t like? I do but my sister doesn’t…I find it interesting whether people do or don’t.

• I think we were in that section together, yes! Your name looked familiar. I believe we chatted about your pup!

I never used to put down a book I wasn’t enjoying until recently, actually. I have a specific goodreads shelf called “nope”. It is pretty rare that I will put down a book, though. I’ve realized that my time is worth more than a book I’m…[Read more]

• I love the idea of the “nope” shelf. Some people post “dnf” for did not finish…i wish they had that as a formal option on the site!

• Nicki replied 1 week ago

ah “dnf”! that’s a good way to describe it. I noticed goodreads (or at least it was that way when I first started on the site) doesn’t allow you to use spaces in your shelves so “nope” was the most accurate way I could describe it. I agree with you, goodreads should look into making that a formal option. I bet a ton of users would find that helpful.

• Diana Rivers posted an update in the tribe Tribe logo of Whatcha Readin'?Whatcha Readin'? 1 week, 5 days ago

Here’s my Goodreads account:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4083089-diana

Right now, I am reading some brain candy by Michael Robotham called “The Secrets She Keeps.” Am also enjoying “I’ll Eat When I’m Dead.” I have “The Cleanest Race” about North Korea and “The Evangelicals”, neither of which I’ve started yet. I really enjoyed “To Siri…[Read more]