This week, we will explore the importance of user experience. Aaron Schmidt, author of the monthly Library Journal column “User Experience” writes: “Every touchpoint, or place that someone can come into contact with your library or its services, is fair game for evaluating how it fits into the experience you’re giving your users.” How can we craft friendly, engaging, and useful interactions within our services and spaces? Aaron provides an engaging, in-depth look at the topic in his lecture.
Michael’s Intro Video: http://hanakoa.sjsu.edu/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=d5f00a18-af76-4144-9994-34bcbbe1bdf5
Aaron Schmidt Lecture:
Things to Read:
Note: Some of the articles you will be reading this term were published years ago, (sometimes decades ago!) but because they are foundational pieces, and because this is a foundational class, we are assigning them so that you know the important articles in our field to which many more recent articles will refer.
- Information Services Today, Chapter 17: User Experience https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.libaccess.sjlibrary.org/lib/sjsu/reader.action?ppg=208&docID=2032756&tm=1502817382182
- Bivens-Tatum, W. (2010). Imagination, sympathy, and the user experience. Library Journal, 8. Retrieved fromhttp://lj.libraryjournal.com/2010/11/ljarchives/imagination-sympathy-and-the-user-experience/#
- MacManus, R. (2012, January 29). 5 signs of a great user experience [Web log post]. readwrite. Retrieved fromhttp://readwrite.com/2012/01/29/5_signs_of_a_great_user_experience#awesm=~ocL9VnevIGi9qB
- Schmidt, A. (2010, January 15). New column launch: The user experience [Web log post]. Library Journal. Retrieved fromhttp://lj.libraryjournal.com/2010/01/opinion/aaron-schmidt/new-column-launch-the-user-experience/
- Schmidt, A. (2010, March 1). Learn by asking [Web log post]. Library Journal. Retrieved fromhttp://lj.libraryjournal.com/2010/03/opinion/aaron-schmidt/learn-by-asking-the-user-experience/
- Schmidt, A. (2011, February 1). Signs of good design [Web log post]. Library Journal. Retrieved fromhttp://lj.libraryjournal.com/2011/02/opinion/aaron-schmidt/signs-of-good-design-the-user-experience/
- Schmidt, A. (2011, January 15). The benefits of less [Web log post]. Library Journal. Retrieved fromhttp://lj.libraryjournal.com/2011/01/opinion/aaron-schmidt/the-benefits-of-less-the-user-experience/
- Schmidt, A. (2013, April 3). Putting the “you” in UX | the user experience [Web log post]. Library Journal. Retrieved fromhttp://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/04/opinion/aaron-schmidt/putting-the-you-in-ux-the-user-experience/
- Schmidt, A. (2013, June 3). Focus on people, not tools [Web log post]. Library Journal. Retrieved fromhttp://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/06/opinion/aaron-schmidt/focus-on-people-not-tools-the-user-experience/
- Wu, J., Chatfield, A., Hughes, A., Kysh, L., & Rosenbloom, M. (2014). Measuring patrons’ technology habits: An evidence-based approach to tailoring library services. Journal of the Medical Library Association, 102(2), 125-129. Retrieved fromhttp://libaccess.sjlibrary.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ofm&AN=95705185&site=ehost-live
Things to Explore:
- Booth, M. (2013, August 28). Design thinking & UTS Library [Slideshare slides]. Presentation for VALA, University of Technology Sydney. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/malbooth/dt-vala-aug-2013-notes
- Forsyth, E. (n. d.). UTS Library signs [Image files]. Retrieved from http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellf/sets/72157626598807057/
- Influx. (n. d.). User experience design. Retrieved from http://weareinflux.com/ NOTE: The articles tab provides interesting additional content.
- Pew Internet. (2014). Libraries. Pew Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved from http://libraries.pewinternet.org/
- The Seattle Public Library. (n. d.). Discovery [Facebook page]. Retrieved from https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePublicLibrary
- The Usable Library. (n. d.). Retrieved from http://usablelibrary.org/ NOTE: Click on the arrows following each entry for further content.
- Zickuhr, K., Rainie, L., Purcell, K., & Duggan, M. (2013, December 11). How Americans Value Public Libraries in Their Communities (Summary of Findings). Pew Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved from Pew Internet website:http://libraries.pewinternet.org/2013/12/11/libraries-in-communities/
Schmidt, A. (2010, January 15). New column launch: The user experience [Web log post]. Library Journal. Retrieved fromhttp://lj.libraryjournal.com/2010/01/opinion/aaron-schmidt/new-column-launch-the-user-experience/