The literature matrix assignment is an organizational tool to help you prepare for writing the literature review section of your research paper. This assignment is designed to introduce you to LIS databases and other information sources and get you started on your information community research. (Course Learning Outcomes: #1, #2 and #3)
By completing this matrix assignment you will:
- Focus your literature search
- Develop reading and summarizing skills
- Hone citation skills
- Build understanding about research on your selected information community
- Reflect, analyze and gain new perspectives on your information community’s information behavior and use
Use the template provided to organize your selected scholarly research and professional resources. Be sure to fill in each of the template components in order to capture all key elements of each article and organize your thoughts on how each fits in the research landscape.
Using LIS databases and other pertinent information sources, locate 8 scholarly, peer-reviewed studies about the information needs and information-seeking behaviors of the information community you are researching.
**Download the LitReviewMatrixTemplate_INFO200Rev3
Begin by defining your selected information community and the value of studying the chosen community. Your research should focus on understanding the information seeking behaviors and needs of your chosen community.
Search LIS and related databases. Identify scholarly sources that research the information behavior and needs of your information community. Collect the APA citations for each source. (If you have trouble locating appropriate materials check in with the our King Library library liaison.)
Using the Literature Review Matrix, for each source use one row to provide details about the article (e.g. authors, main ideas, methods, analysis, results, assumptions, conclusions) and your analysis of it (e.g. your conclusions distinct from the authors and the implications you see). Do this for 8 scholarly, peer-reviewed studies, as noted above.
- Worth 15 points.
- Submit your Literature Review Matrix to Canvas (not your blog) using the naming convention: “LastName_NameofAssignment” as a PDF or Word document.
- All assignments are due on Sundays unless otherwise noted and must be turned in by 11:59 p.m. PT.
- If life circumstances require students to request an extension, please do so several days before the assignment is due or as soon as possible.