In module five, we move from last week’s focus on information-seeking behavior to consider the diverse information needs of information communities. There are a variety of information-seeking studies to illustrate the vast range of information communities that LIS scholars have studied and the diverse needs of these unique communities. As you learn about concepts within this module, consider your information community. What unique characteristics do they bring to the table? What similar aspects do they hold with other information communities? How may their information needs be different or the same as yours? How does environment and context play a role in your information community?
- Reminder New Book Review Due Date September 23rd by 5pm PT
- Thank you for the Book Review assignments already submitted! I will dive into grading soon and should have everyone’s work graded by early next week.
- Don’t forget to submit your Book Review URL to Canvas!
- Continue to refine and explore your community choice and the group’s information seeking and information behaviors. Use the helper and all of the modules we’ve explored so far to guide you.
- Remember to explore the INFO 200 LibGuide to assist your research and contact our King Library Liaisons if you need assistance refining your searches.
Class Assignment Chat:
Students are encouraged to attend if schedules allow. The session will be recorded.
Blog Reports Due Dates:
- THIS WEEK: Blog Post #3: Report on the information-seeking behavior and information needs of chosen community. 9/27
- Blog Post #4: Summarize one of the peer-reviewed articles relating to your information community you’ve found. 10/04 (Submit your URL for grading)
- Blog Post #5: Explore how libraries and information centers create learning and programming opportunities for your chosen community. 11/15
- Blog Post #6: Report on the issues your community may face on an international scale. 11/22
- Blog Post #7: Report on your community’s use of emerging technologies 12/06 (Submit your URL for grading by 12/07)